Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Fatigue Gene

Thought this was an interesting article, giving a glimpse of what the future may hold...

Genes and Athletic Performance.

Will there come a day when you can get a baby tested to see if he/she has the potential to excel in any sport? Will they make a better bodybuilder, baseball player or long-distance runner? I think that day is coming rapidly.

I think weight trainers could benefit from a simple blood test that could tell them just how quickly they could recover from an intense workout. Such incontrovertible evidence may be the only way to convince some of those determined to follow 6-day a week, 2 hour a day training schedule all the way to severe overtraining.

JP

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying to find an answer to a question that I have but haven't been able to find it anywhere so I wonder if you could help me. I am currently lifting weights and working out to get my desired look (six pack and good pectorals). I don't want to look really muscular but just want the above. I am not far off reaching this goal but once I have reached my look how do I continue to workout without improving my muscles to look over muscular and vainey but keep that look I want. Should I cut down but this could leed to losing muscle. Can you give me help on how to keep my body look constant but still workout to keep this look?

6:33 AM  
Blogger JP Clifford said...

Sorry for the delay - had to go to the "review comments" due to spammers and then didn't figure that out well...

Sort of a catch-22, the vascularity I think you're wanting to avoid is primarily a product of a low body fat percentage (coupled with genetics). And, of course, the six-pack abs need a low body fat percentage.

However, the extreme vascularity you see on competing bodybuilders is a product of a very temporary competition state. It is an extremely low body fat level (lower than necessary for the six pack) enhanced by pumping the muscle and tanning before going on stage.

I don't think continuing your weight training is going to increase your vascularity to any great degree. Maintaining the BF% you feel comfortable at will be most important. If anything, stick to lower rep ranges.

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home