Saturday, August 05, 2006

Making Multiple Sets Work

...I understand that multiple sets would be better but I don't know how to handle the explosiveness of the workout.. eg. If I try 3 sets, 8-12 reps to failure, I can barely reach the range on set 2, and even less on set 3, which ofcourse makes sense to me as my energy is slowly depleting through the sets, but then if I'm not hitting the rep range I'm not training correctly, am I? So, thats why I use only 1 set and give it my all. How Do you sustain the same output over multiple sets, should I not be going to failure on the first sets and stop at 12, even if I can give more, thus saving some of the 'tank' for later sets? (from Roland)

When you see a mass gain set calling for 3 sets of 8-12 reps, it is assumed that you will need to drop the weight in order to meet the rep range on the 2nd and 3rd sets. As you suggest, if you are working correctly with maximum effort, your muscles will tire. So if you bench press 120 lbs. on the first set, you may need to drop that to 100 lbs. for the second and 80 for the third.

How do you know how much weight to drop? There isn't an absolute formula to determine how much you will need to drop. It varies by individual and is dependent on many factors including your unique muscle fiber composition. The way you find out is through experience. Fairly quickly you will be able to fairly accurately estimate how much you may need to drop for additional sets.

If you get it wrong? That is not a big deal. When looking for muscle growth, the most important thing is that you never leave a set with anything left in the tank. If you do, you are sending a clear message to the body...

"Hey, no need to build more muscle. I have plenty, I'm not even using all of what I have."

The body will get that message loud and clear and you will not get muscle growth.

So, if you drop too much weight, do not stop just because you have reached your rep limit. Don't stop until you have given all that you can give. Track your results in your weight training log and the next time you work that muscle group, you will be able to more accurately gauge the best poundage for each set.

But always keep your eye on the big picture - You must challenge your muscles if you want them to grow. Don't get caught up in the details. Rep ranges are goals you would like to hit, maximum intensity is something you must always hit.

Exceptions? When your goal is to gain muscle mass, your focus should be on going to fatigue or failure on each and every work set. Sometimes, however, it can be beneficial to throw your muscles a change of pace to keep them from adapting. Cumulative fatigue training is one way to do that. For this you do a series of sets with the goal of muscular failure is only for the last set.

Rep Ranges

Training Intensity

JP Clifford

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home