Sunday, October 29, 2006

Unwanted Massive Muscle Gain

A study recently published in a major medical journal alerted the world to this growing problem: Men and women who engage in bodybuilding programs are increasingly finding themselves getting more than they bargained for. It seems that many men who begin training to add a "little muscle mass" are waking to the reality that this is just not possible.

One of the study's profiled participants reported, "I just wanted to put on 5 or 10 pounds of muscle so I did a few workouts and drank a few protein shakes. Then one morning I woke up and I couldn't fit through my bathroom door."

Apparently, victims of this condition (which researchers have termed UMMG - Unwanted Massive Muscle Gain) include King Kamali, Dorian Yates and Ronnie Coleman. These pro bodybuilders never sought the "big bodybuilder look," they just haven't been able to find a way to stop their muscle growth.


Okay, forgive the lame attempt at humor (silly stuff to you and me but it sort of reads like some of the BS sales copy for certain bodybuilding products, eh?).

This is an issue that routinely appears in my in-box - trainers concerned about gaining too much muscle. More in the last few weeks than normal for whatever reason. I'm guessing that this worry is unique to those who haven't done much training. Because once you've spent some time trying to build muscle, one thing becomes clear: Building muscle isn't easy.

Most people will have to work very hard for every pound of muscle they gain. And then they will have to work hard to maintain that muscle.

Answering the question, "How do I limit runaway muscle growth?" seems a little ridiculous to me because very few if any are ever going to actually encounter this affliction. But here goes...

The simplest way to stop building muscle is to stop supplying the body with the materials it needs to build muscle. To build muscle the body needs surplus calories. Without those materials, the body is powerless to grow.

It won't matter what you do in the gym, you won't grow without that surplus. You could be taking a heavy dose of anabolic steroids but if you aren't giving the body calories beyond what it needs to sustain itself, you aren't going to get bigger. Muscle isn't produced from the air you breathe, it is produced from the food you eat.

Want proof? Just take a look at the countless trainers desperately trying to build muscle but getting no results. The #1 reason for their failures can be traced back to an inadequate diet.

Unwittingly, these frustrated trainers are at the forefront of modern research into exactly how to put a stop to UMMG. In fact, they have found the cure – to prevent further muscle growth simply drop your calories down to maintenance levels.

Experts now believe that even Ronnie Coleman and King Kamali can benefit from this ground-breaking research. If they simply drop their caloric intake below the levels needed to sustain their massive muscle, they will gradually lose that muscle mass and return to very reasonable physiques.

The point? Unless your name is Dr. Bruce Banner, you won’t just one day look in the mirror and find yourself resembling Ferrigno in his prime. If you desire that look, you will have to purposely work extremely hard for an extremely long time to approach it. It won’t happen by accident.

If you don’t want that look, do not fear bodybuilding training. Whatever level of muscularity you desire, bodybuilding training techniques are going to get you where you want to go in the shortest amount of time possible. They won’t take you past that point without your consent.

So… stop worrying about UMMG. If it should ever afflict you, you now know the cure.




JP Clifford

9 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

My goal is not actually muscle mass but I appreciate the article. Although one should now first the difference between strength, endurance and muscle mass.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Shamir Rele said...

I wanted to gain muscle mass. In fact, I still do. But I do remember though, I put on around 3 stones of muscle in one year. it felt great. The biggest gains of my life came when I realised (and learned) that it doesn't actually matter how many chickens, steaks or eggs you had per day. Or indeed, it didn't matter what
sports nutrition
I was in-taking.

The main focus should be on the overall calorific intake. Seriously. Those who need muscle *need* calories. Of course I'm not talking about totally nutritionless calories. You won't see much gains eating ice cream and chips all day. But, foods that really nourish the muscles *and* replenish lost enery. Yes it does mean chicken, eggs, etc. But also foods paste, rice, fruits and veg.

Eating a good all around balanced healthy diet (and *lots* of it) mad me pack on muscle like never before.

3:09 PM  
Blogger muscle89 said...

hey thanks for all the info..i keeps me informed

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent article! It should be brought to the attention of every woman before they enter the gym. A large percentrage of them think that all they have to do is pick up a dumbell and they will wake up the next morning covered in muscles! If only it were true!! It takes constant dedication, hard work and the correct diet. Without these the only gain will be in a hardening of the existing muscle. Not that this is bad but the fantasy of overnight muscles is just that.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

I have just done the Flora London marathon and have put on excess muscle/weight through its training....how do i reduce this as I still want to remain fit but I also want to loose weight and the excess muscle i built up over the training?.....article gave me some info

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

more of its mental thats what the underlying problem really is you may appear to others to be big but to yourself you always need to be bigger and to improve yourself. I had a friend who killed himself because he lost so much of his hard earned muscle mass.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous BONNIE L said...

I am a soon to be 60 yr old woman and I have been looking for a reason as to why my body muscles are growing and are solid as a rock. I do not exercise, I do not take steroids and I am 75 lbs over weight. I want it to stop! Help!!

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good article. I wouldn't have been concerned about my muscle gains two years ago. But now I'm actually really large and I want to maintain and not go any further. Thanks for the info.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home