Monday, February 28, 2005

Squats and Neck Pain

I can't squat not because I have bad knees but because it hurts my neck so much. I think I am so (skinny) that I don't have any meat back there to support the weight. I have tried bunching up a towel and putting it back there but I'm not sure this is a good idea...Would I be best off just to do leg presses? (from James)


You are right in appraising your towel tactic as a bad idea. This can create slippage, a shift of weight and an injury I doubt you want to visit.

Leg presses will certainly increase your comfort level but they will not be as effective as the squat for building muscle. The reason for this is their inability to as effectively work the accessory muscles. This being said, the leg press is certainly a better choice than doing squats with bad form.

Before giving up on the squat, try positioning the bar lower. It should not be resting on the neck but rather just above the rear deltoids (at the very top of the back). Get under the bar (which should be positioned about shoulder heighth on the squat rack), push the shoulders back and then grip the bar resting the weight just below the shoulders.

Alternatively, a great product that addresses this very issue is Adfit's Manta Ray. This is a strange looking device made from polyurethane that acts to distribute the weight load. It really works. It will definitely take care of your problem.

A final thought on squats... Think FORM, FORM, FORM. Use light weights until you have mastered correct form.

JP Clifford

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this question and had similar problems. ive bee doing a leg press work out when its my day for legs instead of squats. ive noticed an increase in strength in my legs but no gain in muscle mass. i was told by a reliable friend squats were the way to go and as you said form is most important. i wonder though, if i will gain mass in my legs now.

2:38 AM  
Blogger JP Clifford said...

Switching to squats will certainly give you a better "opportunity" to gain mass. Follow it up with good nutrition and your results should be good as well.

Best of luck,

JP

4:52 PM  
Blogger SeƱor Arturo said...

Well, I have used the Manta-Ray squat device and I can tell you IT REALLY WORKS! I was able to go up 50lbs just because of it! No neck pain and less stress on my shoulder for trying to hold the bar in the right position!!!

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i enjoy the pain...

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Charlotte Chiropractor said...

I'd consider that one does not have to put the weight on one's neck to perform the squat. Dumbbells can be held in the hands at one's sides or resistance bands can be used.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home