Thursday, February 17, 2005

Building Muscle without Weights

Due to circumstances, I don't have access to any weights. Are there any exercises I can do that don't require any equipment? I am wanting to build up my upper body. (from Lane)


The key to building muscle is progressive overload, the gradual increase in resistance used. The easiest and best way to accomplish this is by using weights. While we all think of weights as those circular things in the gym that have their poundage embossed on them, just a little dose of "out-of-the-box" thinking leads to the realization that weights are all around us. Books, plastic jugs filled with varying amounts of water or sand, bags of fertilizer and other objects can be used in lieu of weight plates.

Use of these items, or the use of your bodyweight alone, can let you do just about all the exercises important to building muscle. You can review those exercises on these pages: Chest/Back, Arms/Shoulders/Abs, Legs.

Here are some great exercises that can be done effectively with bodyweight alone.

  • Push-ups
  • Pull-ups
  • Bar Dips (two chairs)
  • Crunches
  • Bench Dips


Creativity is the key when it comes to increasing your resistance. For example, with push-ups you can use weight placed on your back (books, a small child ), one-armed push-ups, or handstand push-ups.

While your stated goal is to build up your upper body, don't forget about your legs. Effectively working your legs, which will require more resistance, without traditional weights and a squat rack can be more of a challenge but this isn't an area you want to just ignore. The body likes to grow all at once.

In the end, your ability to reach your muscle building goals will not be dependent on the equipment you have but rather your determination. Too many people blame the lack of this or that (from supplements to equipment to time) for their inability to bulk up. Really, the only thing that can prevent you from moving towards your goals is a lack of perseverance.

JP Clifford

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am writing this two-and-a-half years after this blog. I only want to say that I am committed to bulking up and am fully determined to continue this for the rest of my life. I read crap on the internet, but have a different opinion about this article. I think I must put effort in to get the rewards. I am a very slow learner, though. If I don't succeed I won't be put off. It's just a shame that you always have to read crap about body-building, like 'progressive over-load'. If I had the mental strength to keep on increasing the weights every couple of weeks or so, I would be very strong after a short while. I am thinking more in terms of years because that's how long I expect it will take for me to buff up. There won't be progress, just continued effort with a good reward.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

power lifting is a great way to bulk up in a short period of time. I know this because i went from a very slim (skinny) 15 year old to a very buff 16 and a half year old just by jogging to help burn my for the lack of a better word wobbly bits. I used to jog to chidrens play park about 15 mins away and used the monkey bars for pullups,rappingl my legs arround them and lifting my self up to tpone my six pack. I used the railings like hurdles plus believe it or not i used to wsk ppl if i cud play with there dogs to keep my stanima up. its that easy.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point. Using things around us for resistance doesn't occur to most people (our own body weight being number one on the list.)
I feel sorry for nick 'big enough'. To think that he has no intention of progression is sad. I mean, nick if you start with ten pushups, and in two weeks you do eleven...you've progressed. You can never do more than your original number, ever. To call progress crap is like calling achievement lame. Challenging yourself will make you healthier and stronger, and nicely toned if your diet is good. So progression is a natural byproduct of development.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home