Friday, January 28, 2005

Can't Gain Weight Despite Large Appetite

I am 19 years old and I am very skinny (5'10 and only 60kg). I have been watching my diet and I am currently eating about 2700 calories per day but not gaining. That is more than 20 times my weight. I want to start a program like the one on your site but since I already eat so much should I just not change my diet but do the weight training? Then will I gain weight? (from Devin)


The first thing I suggest you do is go to a doctor and make sure all is well. Most likely you just have an extremely fast metabolism and/or are burning off a lot of calories but it is always best to get a check-up and make sure there is not a medical reason for your inability to add weight.

With a medical cause ruled out, I would suggest going ahead and starting your weight gain program at your current caloric intake but placing an emphasis on the types of food you consume. I would suggest starting with a weight gain diet that is heavy on the protein, a 40-30-30 diet (40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat). Refer to the Weight Gain Diets Page.

Most likely this diet will be more protein and possibly more fat (make sure it is mostly unsaturated fat) then your current diet and this in combination with your weight training program may be enough to get you putting on some pounds. If after a couple of weeks on this diet you are still not gaining weight, then start increasing your calories.

Eating twenty times your bodyweight in calories without experiencing weight gain is definitely on the high side but not necessarily beyond belief. I don't know how active you are (sports, walking, etc.) but this will certainly play a role as all activity will use up calories for energy. You may want to try and limit aerobic-type activities while on your weight gain program.


JP Clifford



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home